Friday, August 13, 2010

Farm share week 11


In this week's box:
  • Corn: 1.75 lbs
  • Celery: 1 lb
  • Cucumbers: 1.75 lbs
  • Eggplant: 1.5 lbs
  • Green pepper: 1 lb
  • Tomatoes: 1.5 lbs
  • Tomatillos: 0.75 lb
  • Canteloupe: 2.5 lbs
  • Parsley: 0.5 lb
  • Basil: 0.5 lb
This week's newsletter (PDF) announced the inclusion of another new item for me -- tomatillos.  They're used a lot in Mexican cooking, so I guess that means some enchiladas are in our future. :)


I learned this week that I've been storing my fresh herbs incorrectly. I thought they should go in perforated bags in the crisper like the other leafy things we get, but according to Joy of Cooking, that's only the case for herb leaves that aren't on the stem. If they're bunches of herbs still on the stem, they should be stored with their stems in water (like a bouquet), outside the crisper. Hoping this means that this parsley and basil will last longer... I'll keep you posted.

Remember last week, when I got a ton of stuff that I knew Carl wouldn't eat?  Well, it happened to be the annual picnic at work this week, and everyone was tasked to bring a salad or a dessert.  I love baking, so usually that would be a no-brainer for me, but I decided to veer off course this year and roast up some veggies instead. I sliced up beets, zucchini, squash, eggplant, and green pepper; marinated them on baking sheets in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and roasted them at 375° for 30-40 minutes.  Cooled 'em, dumped 'em in a Tupperware, and brought to picnic. Came home with empty Tupperware, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment