Saturday, August 7, 2010

Farm share week 10


In this week's box:
  • Celery: 1.5 lbs
  • Yellow squash: 2 lbs
  • Tomatoes: 1 lb
  • Green peppers: 1.25 lbs
  • Kale: 0.75 lb
  • Lettuce: 0.5 lb
  • Lemon cucumbers: 1.75 lbs
  • Eggplant: ... (apparently I forgot to weigh it)
  • Currants: 6 oz
Super-excited to see the first of the tomatoes... I'm sure we'll be drowning in them soon enough, but nothing says late summer to me like tomatoes. The celery is interesting -- much darker green than the kind I'm used to seeing in the supermarket.  Speaking of celery, this week's box is full of things that Carl doesn't like -- eggplant, green pepper, squash, celery... not sure what I'm going to do with all this stuff.

I was reading this week's newsletter (PDF) and noticed that several of the recipes that are included have to do with vegetables that were in last week's box, rather than the usual recipes that are for the current week's box. I thought that was a good idea, because usually that's around the time when I start thinking, what am I going to do with all this stuff from last week?  Then I noticed that THREE of the recipes were written by my friend Jen! She lives in Arlington, on the other side of the city, and I had no idea that we were members of the same farm. Fun.

Halfway through the week, the farm sent out a special e-mail about the currants. I guess they were worried that people wouldn't know what to do with them!  They photograph beautifully, that's all I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment