Sunday, November 7, 2010

Farm share week 23


In this week's box:
  • Carrots: 2 lbs
  • Butternut squash: 3.75 lbs
  • Avocado: 1 lb
  • Turnip: 0.75 lb
  • Lettuce: 1 lb
  • Bok choi: 1 lb
  • Chard: 1 lb
  • Celeriac: 0.5 lb
  • Parsley: 0.25 lb
Well, I can see now why the bok choi we had been getting was referred to as "baby bok choi," because this guy is enormous compared to them. But the butternut squashes are scaled down this week -- each about half as big as the ones we got a few weeks ago. Speaking of butternut squash, I made a great curried squash soup last week that was a big hit here among people who don't like squash. Here's the recipe.

The thing in the middle that looks like a pineapple gone wrong is celeriac, or celery root. I had seen it listed on this week's newsletter (PDF) but had forgotten and was like, what the hell is this thing? The top of it does actually smell like celery. I think a person is supposed to cut it up and roast it with other root vegetables.

No apples this week, bummer, although an avocado is a nice treat (it's via the East Coast produce sharing program that my farm belongs to). I wish they'd stop sending parsley every week or so -- how much parsley can a person eat, I ask you?

No comments:

Post a Comment