Saturday, October 30, 2010

Farm share week 22


In this week's box:
  • Apples: 1.75 lbs
  • Bok choi: 0.75 lb
  • Turnips: 1.75 lbs
  • Sweet potatoes: 3 lbs
  • White potatoes: 1.75 lbs
  • Parsnips: 1 lb
  • Onion: 0.5 lb
  • Kale: 0.5 lb
Well, this is certainly an autumnal selection of vegetables... Those things that look like a cross between a beet and a rutabaga are apparently "scarlet turnips," according to this week's newsletter (PDF). Growing up in Florida, I never once ate turnips or parsnips (to the best of my knowledge), and here they've been things I might have been served at a restaurant but I've never cooked them myself.  Happy to get some more sweet potatoes, although one of them is the size of my finger (!).

And, this week's apple variety is Macoun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment