Friday, June 11, 2010

Farm share week 2


Here we are with a new box full of stuff... of course, we haven't finished with last week's box yet, but what's left seems to still be in pretty good condition.

In this week's share:
  • Lettuce: 7/8 lb. (At least it's a lot smaller than last week's lettuce.)
  • Beet greens: 1 lb. (Attached to runty beets)
  • Cabbage: 2 lbs. (This is actually half a cabbage, which is a little weird.)
  • Arugula: 0.5 lb.
  • Kale: 0.75 lb.
  • Cucumber: 1 lb.
  • Grape tomatoes: 1 pint
  • Blueberries: 1 pint
It's nice to get some variety -- I was afraid we'd be getting a lot more of the same. I added some of the grape tomatoes to a salad leftover from last night and it made a nice change from the tyranny of shredded carrots.

This week's box came with a fantastic sheet of suggestions on what to make with each item, prepared by the folks at Local in Season. The weekly newsletter from the farm usually contains one or two recipes that can be made using veggies in that week's share (here's this week's newsletter). But it's really cool to have just a few simple suggestions for each item. Example for the arugula: "Simple salad -- add goat cheese, pine nuts, and a light dressing. Add to the top of a pizza after it comes out of the oven--pairs well with the grape tomatoes in your share, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Bacon is a nice option as well." Um, sounds good to me!  The sheet also suggests local brands of other ingredients listed, all of which are available at City Feed and Supply, where I pick up my share each week. (Full disclosure: I am City Feed's website admin.) I hope Local in Season continues to produce this sheet each week, because I can see it's going to be hugely helpful to me in figuring out meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment